What is the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award?
Most people who know about the DofE award think of a group of students hiking through the countryside weighed down with an overloaded rucksack. This is a major part but there are 3 (4 in the case of Gold) sections to be completed. These are:
- Physical Skill
- Residential (Gold only)
More details can be found here
It is this framework of activities that make up the award.
Why do a DofE award?
There are many reasons to do your DofE award but here’s a few:
- It is fun.
- It is an adventure.
- It is a challenge full of new experiences.
- It enables you to discover new talents.
- It is a recognised award (and you may include things you do anyway).
- It is a way to make a difference in the community, be healthier, make new friends and some fantastic memories.
- It provide skills for life and work – see what the newspapers say; Telegraph, Independent.
- It is looked upon favourable by Companies and Universities.
What awards can you do at Belper School?
This year the intention is to run Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards. In the first instance contact the Duke of Edinburgh co-ordinator.
Key Dates for 2018/2019
Bronze Practice Expedition Thursday 16 to 17 May 2019
Bronze Qualifying Expedition Tuesday 16 to Thursday 18 July 2019
Silver Qualifying Expedition Monday 8 to Wednesday 10 July 2019