We offer School Direct Initial Teacher Training in partnership with The Northworthy Alliance http://www.northworthytrust.org.uk/teacher-training. The programme accredited provider is the University of Derby, a Guardian Top 20 provider for education. This partnership provides trainees with many opportunities to learn and develop in a range of contexts.
The training involves two placement schools and short periods in other contexts. Placements will be based on students’ development needs.
All trainees successfully completing the programme will be awarded a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) with 60 credits towards a Master’s Degree from the University of Derby and recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status.
Why choose the School Direct Route?
School Direct offers a PGCE route, the same as would be achieved through a traditional university route, but with a greater emphasis on the vocational element of the training. This makes the School Direct route ideal for those wanting a career change, those with significant school/education experience, or those who prefer a ‘hands-on’ approach to learning.
The benefits of the School Direct route are:
- September start and July finish – understand the narrative of the whole school year
- Regarded by students and staff as a full member of the school community
- Be part of a wider community of trainees
- Access to Subject Knowledge Enhancement
- More contact time with classes than a traditional PGCE
- Weekly training sessions with the university and experienced teachers throughout the course
- Enhanced Placement Opportunities; such as SEND, Overseas visits, Primary and Alternative provision
- Variety of assessment methods, including lesson observations, essays and posters
All applicants need the following prior to commencing a teacher training programme:
- A relevant undergraduate degree
- GCSE Grade C or above (or equivalent) in English and Maths
- Successful completion of the National College for Teaching and Learning’s QTS Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy. More information on the skills tests is available at https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/how-to-apply/passing-the-skills-tests
Conditional offers can be made for applications received prior to entry requirements being met.
Fees and Funding
Fees are paid directly to the University of Derby.
Fees for 2019 are £9,250
Funding is available via Student loans and Bursaries – funding is dependent on personal circumstances, please see the Get into teaching website for further details https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-my-teacher-training/bursaries-and-scholarships-for-teacher-training
How to Apply
Search for available courses https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-postgraduate-teacher-training-courses-in-england
Applications are made through UCAS Teacher Training https://www.ucas.com/teaching-in-the-uk
For further information, please contact email@example.com